This page is for South African health care workers to access the latest guidelines, mandated training, and information to assist in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19.
- Call 0800 11 1131 (24/7)
- Ask the COVID-19 chatbot
- Download a list of testing site and laboratory contacts
- Call 0800 029 999 (8am to 4pm Monday to Friday)
- WhatsApp “hi” to 060 012 3456
- Visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za>
Learn more by taking one of our growing number of courses on managing the COVID-19 pandemic.
UPDATED! COVID-19 Clinical Case Management and Infection Prevention and ControlThis is a mandatory course for clinical health care workers about managing COVID-19 cases and the necessary infection and prevention control measures surrounding COVID-19. https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/lms/course/view.php?id=75
Infection prevention and control for non-clinical staffThis is an introductory course on the proper and necessary infection prevention and control measures required from all non-clinical staff especially in relation to COVID-19. https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/form/covid-19-infection-prevention
Electronic vaccine data systemsThis course provides details on how to register yourself and your site on the electronic vaccine data system. https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/lms/course/view.php?id=68
COVID-19 vaccination training for health workersThis course provides basic training for all health workers on the COVID-19 vaccine rollout. https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/lms/course/view.php?id=64
- Rapid review of Molnupiravir for COVID-19 20 December 2021
- Rapid review of Baricitinib for COVID-19 19 November 2021
- Rapid review of Colchicine for COVID-19 19November 2021
- Rapid review of NSAIDs for COVID-19 19 November 2021
- Rapid review of Fluvoxamine for COVID-19 5 November 2021
- Rapid review of Doxycycline for COVID-19 15 October 2021
- Rapid review of Rivaroxaban for COVID-19 8 October 2021
- Rapid review of Zinc for COVID-19 23 September 2021
- Rapid review of Ivermectin for COVID-19 Update 30 July 2021
- Rapid review of Heparin dosing for VTE prophylaxis in COVID-19 Update 30 July 2021
- Rapid review of Vitamin C for COVID-19 - 28 May 2021
- Rapid review of Tocilizumab for COVID-19 Update 28 May 2021
- Rapid review of Convalescent plasma for COVID-19 Update 9 April 2021
- Rapid review of Azithromycin for COVID-19 Update 9 April 2021
- Rapid review of Interferon for COVID-19 Update 9 April 2021
- Rapid review of Chloroquine prophylaxis for COVID-19 Update 19 March 2021
- NEMLC - Protocol Template for rapid reviews of COVID-19 v2.0 9 March 2021
- NEMLC Therapeutic Guidelines Subcommittee on COVID-19 - Terms of Reference v5
- Rapid review of Chloroquine-Hydroxycloroquine for COVID-19 5 March 2021
- Rapid review of Colchicine for COVID-19 Update 12 February 2021
- Rapid review of Ivermectin for Prophylaxis of COVID-19 25 January 2021
- Rapid review of Lopinavir-ritonavir COVID-19 Update 21 December 2020
- Rapid review of Ivermectin for COVID-19 21 December 2020
- Rapid Review of Remdesivir for COVID-19 Update 15 December 2020
- Rapid review of Mucolytics for COVID-19 23 November 2020
- Rapid review of Corticosteroids for COVID-19 Update 20 October 2020
- Rapid Review of Favipiravir for COVID-19 25 June 2020
- Rapid review of Convalescent plasma for COVID-19 11 June 2020
- Rapid review of BCG for prophylaxis of COVID-19 27 May 2020
- Rapid review of IV Immunoglobulin for COVID-19 8 April 2020
Download the latest versions of COVID-19 related guidelines.
UPDATED! Clinical Management of Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 Disease
Disease Infection Prevention and Control Guidelines (Version 2: 21st May 2020)https://www.nicd.ac.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/ipc-guidelines-covid-19-version-2-21-may-2020.pdf
An Algorithm for the Management of COVID-19 in Pregnant Women (March 2020)https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/system/files/elibdownloads/2020-04/pregnant women .jpg
An Algorithm for the Management COVID-19 in Mothers and Breastfeeding Women (March 2020)https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/system/files/elibdownloads/2020-05/mothers-positive-or-suspected-neo-natal-algorithm.jpg
Frequently Asked Questions for Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women (March 2020)https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/system/files/elibdownloads/2020-05/faq for pregnant and breastfeeding women - covid-19 - 31-03-2020%283%29.pdf
Guidelines for Symptom Monitoring and Management of Essential Workers for COVID-19 Related Infection (2020)https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/system/files/elibdownloads/2020-06/Guidance-for-symptom-monitoring-and-management-of-essential-staff-with-COVID-19-related-illness-final-2.pdf
Environmental Health Guidelines for Management of Human Remains in the Context of COVID-19 (March 2020)https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/system/files/elibdownloads/2020-04/EH
Guidelines - Human Remains March 2020.pdf COVID-19 Environmental Health Response Guidelines (April 2020)https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/system/files/elibdownloads/2020-04/response guidelines covid-19 environmetal health%282%29.pdf
Guidelines for Quarantine and Isolation in relation to COVID-19 Exposure and Infection (5th May 2020)https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/system/files/elibdownloads/2020-05/Guidelines - Quarantine and isolation in relation to COVID-19.pdf
Recommended Guidelines for Fabric Face Masks (24th April 2020)https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/system/files/elibdownloads/2020-06/recommended guidelines fabric face masks rsa dtic %281%29.pdf
Download the latest frameworks and implementation plans.
National Infection Prevention and Control Strategic Framework (March 2020)https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/system/files/elibdownloads/2020-04/National Infection Prevention and Control Strategic Framework March 2020.pdf
Practical Manual for Implementation of the National Infection Prevention and Control Strategic Framework (March 2020)https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/system/files/elibdownloads/2020-04/Practical Manual for implementation of the National IPC Strategic Framework March 2020.pdf
COVID-19 National Public Hygiene Strategy and Implementation Plan (April 2020)https://www.knowledgehub.org.za/system/files/elibdownloads/2020-04/covid-19 national public hygiene strategy and implementation plan%281%29.pdf
COVID-19 Technical ResourcesAccess a wide range of additional COVID-19 related technical resources form the NICD.
Notification formsAccess notifiable medical condition (NMC) notification forms from the NICD.
The NMC Notification portalVisit the NICD's national notification portal for notifiable medical conditions (NMS).
COVID-19 FAQsSee a list of common questions maintained by the NICD.
COVID-19 Technical Guidance publicationsAccess a wide range of expert papers providing technical guidance
ONLINE COURSE: Introduction to COVID-19: methods for detection, prevention, response and controlThis course provides a general introduction to emerging respiratory viruses, including novel coronaviruses.
COVID-19 FAQsSee a list of common questions maintained by the WHO.
Healthcare Workers: Information on COVID-19https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/hcp/index.html
Infection Control Guidance for Healthcare Professionals about Coronavirus (COVID-19)https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/infection-control.html
Clinical Care Information for COVID-19https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-care.html
Using Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/using-ppe.html
National Institute for Communicable Diseasehttps://gis.nicd.ac.za/portal/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/15eb33988f104b73867606c1248578ff
World Health Organisation dashboard (International)https://covid19.who.int
Google dashboard (International)https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-ZA&gl=ZA&ceid=ZA%3Aen
Bing dashboard (South Africa)https://www.bing.com/covid/local/southafrica
President’s COVID-19 statementshttp://www.thepresidency.gov.za/from-the-desk-of-the-president/president-cyril-ramaphosa
South African Government COVID-19 regulations and guidelineshttps://www.gov.za/covid-19/resources/regulations-and-guidelines-coronavirus-covid-19#