COVID-19 Vaccination Training for Health Workers
As announced by the President of the Republic of South Africa, the country is preparing to embark on a massive programme to roll out the COVID-19 vaccination. This will be the largest and most complex logistical undertaking in our country, and it requires active involvement of various stakeholders, forums and task teams. The training task team is responsible for giving the vaccinators adequate knowledge and skills to deliver the COVID-19 vaccine. Therefore, the National Department of Health (NDoH) has teamed up with the South African Vaccination and Immunisation Centre at the Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, and other support partners, to package a short course, with tools, to prepare vaccinators to implement the COVID-19 vaccination.
Device (cellphone, tablet, laptop, and/or desktop.
Accessing the course materials and recorded lectures online is free as the Knowledge Hub has been zero rated. An initial internet connection is required to connect to the KH.
- Module 1: Introduction to COVID-19 vaccination training
- Module 2: Storage, handling, delivery, and waste management of COVID-19 vaccines
- Module 3: Organising COVID-19 vaccination sessions
- Module 4: Adverse events following immunisation (AEFI) monitoring for COVID-19 vaccination
- Module 5: COVID-19 vaccination data management
- Module 6: Communication with the community about COVID-19 vaccination
- Module 7: Ethical considerations for the COVID-19 vaccination programme
The overall aim of this course is to capacitate vaccinators by providing key information necessary for rolling out the COVID-19 vaccine to South African healthcare workers. At the end of this course participants will be able to:
- get an overview of the COVID-19 vaccination training curriculum and processes
- briefly describe SARS-CoV-2 and coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- provide key information on types of COVID-19 vaccines
- outline the NDoH vaccination strategy for healthcare workers
- identify key programmatic considerations that are new or different for COVID-19 vaccines
- describe key planning elements to prepare for the COVID-19 vaccine introduction
- explain cold-chain requirements for the COVID-19 vaccines and diluents
- explain storage principles / conditions at the health facility as well as for outreach and campaign vaccination posts
- understand the ethical principles and values relevant to the vaccine programme
- explain the ethical justification for the prioritisation in the roll out programme
- as health care workers, understand their ethical duties towards individuals they will be vaccinating
- describe health and human rights, and how these notions can be applied to the vaccine programme.
30 September 2021 - 12:00 pm